I ga-ron-tee you cannot, will not, burn up your titanium pot on any backpacking stove. I've heated mine to an orange glow and yes, it discolors in a kewhl rainbow fashion, but that's it. The metal is so thin that it takes mere seconds for this to occur on a gas stove with a narrow flame. I've learned to put the oil in first.

Ti pots dent and bend much less readily than aluminum of equal weight, which is probably their biggest advantage. Shop the sales and the price isn't all that bad.

Quote:
Quote:

The melting point for Titanium is about 3135F and about 1220F for aluminum.

Yeah - but they will both burn (oxidize) at temperatures lower than melting in a O2 rich environment.
I wouldn't be surprised if the uneven heating in Ti did warp it a bit on excessive heating.

Regarding the higher strength with Ti versus thinner Ti: Ti is about 2x as strong as Al alloy (800+MPa vs 400MPa yeid strength). I'm guessing that the pots are not 2 times thinner. Besides, I'm pretty sure that I could fairly easily bend my Al pot, but I would have to work a lot harder with Ti. Anyone want to donate a SnowPeak mug for science?

I knew all those materials science classes would pay off one day.