My pack weight is getting less - but it is more that there are lighter options in gear nowadays. Thank goodness! I am pretty obsessive about keeping my own weight down. I weigh the same now as I did when I was 16. And also obsessive about working out regularly. I agree with the comments about staying in shape. It really helps. As for going into remote areas - if anything I find I go into more remote places as a age! I tend to take more risks. I guess I feel that my kids are grown and independent, I have lived a good life and I am less freaked out about dying in the wilderness. I just do not worry too much about it. I do not do stupid things, but do not try to "be prepared" for every eventuality. I have also backpacked long enough to judge what is actually risky and what is only remotely risky.

The major change as I age is that my feet cannot tolerate long mileage anymore - no more 20-mile days. Also I am now a avid trekking pole user. I am sure as I get older I will have to make further adjustments. I will take each year as it comes.