There are two main schools of thought for this, and it really depends on your personal comfort level with wet feet and how you react to hiking in wet feet. One school brings along a light set of river crossing shoes, also perhaps dual use as camp shoes, such as nike aqua sox, crocs, tevas, etc. etc. They then change at each water crossing.

The other school just plows on through, and will often select shoes (like trailrunners, or even sandals) which will drain and dry quickly to hike in.

I personally tend to fall into the latter category, but I still wear boots in heavier terrain. however I personally deal with wet feet no problem, so I never bring along a second set of shoes. as long as it's not really cold (and then it's my booties). I have hiked with some people who simply can not do this, because their feet become very suceptible to blistering when soaked for a while.

If you had good luck on your past trip with the runners, there's no reason to think you can't continue to hike in trail runners and save yourself the weight on your feet.
Browse my pictures