It depends.
It depends on what kind of pack and tent you want and as far as the tent goes, for what kind of weather. It also depends on whether you mean $200 total or $200 each.

My suggestion is start looking at gear online at retailers such as our site sponsors. Click on the Portal (above or to the left), then start looking at what they offer. For example, REI's Outlet site has a lot of tents and packs around $100. Some it may be last year's models, but who cares? It won't be the lightest or latest, but unless you doing something like a long distance hike, having the lightest gear possible doesnt need to be your first priority.

Also look at manufacturers' websites so you can see what else is available. If you have a good retailer like REI near you, go there and look at packs and other gear.

If you don't see what you want new at a decent price, think about looking for used gear. Once you have an idea what you want, then start looking on eBay,Craigslist or on sites like this one that have buy/sell listings. If you shop carefully and are patient, you can get deals.

I have bought and sold a few things online including packs, a tent, ski bindings, stove, winter clothes and boots, and a few other things. If you haven't done it before, the trick is to know what you are looking at-brand, model, etc. and then don't get so excited about something that you pay too much for it. I buy things I know are quality products; I stay away from lesser known brands and am very suspicious of cheap gear. This isn't to say there aren't some bargains out there, but there is also a lot of poorly made camping gear.

Edited by TomD (03/26/08 10:55 PM)