Time for confessions here. I haven't done any bear-bagging since I was a kid (and then it was my scoutmaster who did it). In my own defense I'll say that here in eastern Missouri we aren't exactly overrun with bears. But now I've heard of sightings of black bears nearby so I'm thinking I'd better get with the program and hang my food.

My question is: what kind of cord should I use? There have been some recent discussions about cord in general (braided spectra vs kelty triptease, etc) but I'm only wondering about bear bagging (I use the orange stuff from Gossamer Gear for my guy lines, essentially the same stuff as kelty triptease).

Here's why I'm confused. I'm hearing two different thing about what NOT to use. On the one hand I hear not to use stuff with the braided nylon coating (like triptease) because it acts like a saw on tree branches. This would argue for something like a braided spectra or strong fishing line. But on the other hand I hear that thin diameter is what you want to avoid because the small diameter stuff cuts the bark and (even worse) can get itself stuck in the groove that it creates leaving your foodbag as an eternal tree ornament.

I've tried this really inexpensive stuff they have at REI

http://www.rei.com/product/610903

for guy lines and given up on it for that purpose (absorbs water like crazy and gets deformed once it dries) but maybe it's the right kind of thing to use for bear bagging because of the large diameter?

So you experienced bear baggers out there, what do you recommend?

Heber