I try not to let the price of gas cut into my BP'ing. I have a 4-cylinder Toyota pickup I use on trips that gets around 30 mpg so I don't feel too much pain there. A lot of my neighbors feel the need of F-350's and their ilk (10-14 mpg?).

The gasoline cost of my getting to the trailhead has increased here by about 20% and I am offsetting that by running most of my errands using my moped. I have a Tomos moped that will get between 100 and 120 mpg, depending on headwinds and does 31mph tops.

I live on a small acreage in the desert between Tucson and Nogales; over ten miles to the nearest store and eight miles from the Post Office. No public transportation. Getting groceries and mail would be expensive without the moped. I take a pack with me and plan on a slow, pleasant trip into town. Unless there is a really big load to carry, this is how almost all the errands are handled. I am also on a more-or-less fixed retirement income and have to watch expenses. At least I don't have the expense of commuting to a job to deal with!