The Hungarian solution.... I know you will all be grossed out, I was the first time they explained it to me, in fact I did not even udnerstand the concept, I go the words, the conceptt hought was too much.

Take a slab of bacon, the fatty kind, more fat, the happier the campers, seiously!

Place a chunk of this lard on a stick, hold it over the fir/embers, catch the drippings on a slice of good bread, when you have all the drippings, eat teh bread. it is great!

kids here like to roast hot dogs on open fires.

yeah, both solutions are heavy but kids lvoe them and neither the smoked bacon or the dogs will spoil on such a short trip!!!

kurtos kalacs is also a favorit here. labour intensive, sweat great !!!! if you want the recipe I will send one...

other things popular here for such short trips are kabobs... onion, tomatoe, bacon, sausage (no, it will not spoil in yoru backpack for atlest a day or 3!)

baked ptatoes, no need for foil, just chuck taters in embers/ash, take out when done, knock of ash/burnt bits, eat... great stuff!

I do these kinds of dishes all the time on canoeing and cycling trips, on camping trips to the seaside. They work well and since we are not talking about major expeditions it really is no big deal for ppl to carry the food in.. I always tell ppl to leave the electronics at home if they are worried about wait...

robi