Quote:
Hi. Beginning to plan for an overnighter at the end of the month where 4 different families are going backpacking together. Our group is 5 adults and 6 kids. Kids ages 7 - 12. I was thinking that each family should just cook up their own meals, but it would be fun for all of us to eat together. I wanted to get some dinner and dessert suggestions from folks. Other considerations, it's only an overnighter so we could bring in fresh food and we are able to have a fire at this time of year at the trail camp, Castle Rock State Park. Cooking gear is probably my greatest limitation, and since we have some younger kids to cover for, weight is somewhat of a consideration. Looking forward to your ideas. Thanks. NCC

As mentioned, perhaps some spaghetti, which kids love and is easy to do. Don't forget the possibility of good old Mac and Cheeze - it's light, and for the most part, kids love it. (don't bother with milk and butter, use a little olive oil, and if you want, a little powdered milk, or just water. My usual take when bp'ing with mac and cheese is to bring tuna foil pouches, and dehydrated onions and peppers, with perhaps a few packets of taco sauce from a fast food taco place. Adding this to mac and cheese makes it a bit more grown up - although you may end up making a "with" and without for the kids.

If you're bringing slightly heavier stuff and you have a campfire, consider taking the makings for
bannock dough (or pre-making it in a ziplock). Try first at home. You only need add water to the ziplock and munge it around, then wrap around a stick to "bake" over the fire. Works pretty good with jam packets from a fast food joint, or if you bring hot dogs or smokies makes a darn good piggy in a blanket type thing.

OTOH, don't be afraid to venture out a little, you'd be surprised at what kids find "interesting" about food in the boonies - My kids forgoe the usual mac and cheese stuff and vastly prefer the high tech (and a bit more expensive, but lighter) Natural high dehydrated dinners. If you resort to going
lighter where you basically need boiling water - you can have a little variety like a couple of storebought backpacking meals plus some mac and cheese and the like for those who like the familiar.
Browse my pictures