I have a 2R and love it; however, now that I like to do kayak camping as well I have to pitch it on sandy beaches where it is not ideal for a non-free-standing tent.

Any advice?

On this last trip I tried some of the SMC Sno-stakes. 9.5 inches long. They worked okay, but I don't know if I would have had a lot of confidence in them if the wind really picked up (which is likely on the coast).

The problem as I see it lies largely in the fact that the Stephensons design requires a lot of tension to make the tent stable which puts a lot more pressure on stakes than most applications would.

I am considering different options for stakes. Hilleberg makes a 12 inch snow stake. Similar to the SMC but 12 inches long. May be a bit better.

I am also considering using MSR Coyote Snow Pickets. They are heavy and not really intended for this purpose, but may work. 24 inches long.

Keep in mind that since it is for kayak camping the weight is not a big factor as in backpacking.

Any thoughts?

I love my Warmlite, but for caming in the sand I am not sure it is the ticket. I hope I can find a better stake.

thanks
Matt