One of the things I've really come to appreciate in my job, is that the very fist thing you do in first aid - situation size up - can tell you a great deal about what you will need to do as you progress through your treatment. A big part of my job is to watch people who walk into our ER and make a judgement call - is this person likely to die if I don't get them into a bed right now, or can they take the time to fill out our paperwork, and possibly wait 10 minutes to 2 hours without being at risk of getting worse. Although my impression isn't the "official" pronouncement, I've gotten so good at telling sick or not sick that the nurses I work with trust my judgement - when I say "I need a nurse, now!" they know I have someone who needs immediate care (you'd be surprised how many near-death people actually walk into the ER).

Anyway, my point being that it is good to practice first aid skills, but it is essential to practice first aid situational awareness (there's that phrase again!). When you stumble on someone who is injured or sick, your own reaction may keep you from noticing important clues to the needs or your patient, or perhaps the cause of their injuries (like the bear that knocked them down then ran off with their pack, and is just in the bushes 20 feet away). So, practice your skills, but practice using real scenarios that make you have to take the time to assess your situation. You have to break the urge to rush in and treat before you know what is going on. The "hey, hey, you ok?" shouted from a distance can tell you alot. If you don't get a reaction then you know you need to check your ABCs. And truthfully, if you have to check your ABCs in the middle of the wilderness, and you didn't witness the cause of unconsciousness, chances are really good your patient is dead or dying. Practice the "don't rush in" principle - take the time to get oriented and calm your own nerves. An extra couple of minutes doing this isn't going to make a big difference in the wilderness.

Have I mentioned I love my job?

MNS