I just finished reading "Zero Days" by Barbara Egbert (Trail Name Nellie Bly). It is her tale of her 2004 Pacific Crest Trail through-hike with her husband (Captain Bligh) and 10-year-old daughter (Scrambler). I really liked it. It was not the typical day by day trail account. Rather, Egbert divides the chapters up into topics and weaves into them the daily trail accounts. I read it mostly due to young Scrambler. I was curious how a 10 year old would fare on a long distance hike. Some of her original journal pages are included in the book - in her few journal entries we see, Scrambler writes very simply and honestly. And it is so apparent she wanted to be on this trip - she didn't do it because her parents only wanted her to do it. She clearly knows now after completing the entire trail that when the going gets tough, she can survive it. I can only imagine the incredible woman Scrambler will grow up to be.

For a trail account, I didn't find it as good as Bill Bryson's Walk in the Woods. (Which is still one of my all time favorite funny books.) But Zero Days is worth reading!

I think I have most PCT trail accounts - glad to weigh in on any of them! Carol