This is probably one of those only occasionally useful posts but I thought it might help someone.

I just had the occasion to replace the battery in my Timex Indiglo Expedition watch. When I replaced the battery (CR 2016), the LCD screen stayed blank. I checked several places on the web and found that the battery needs to be shorted to the "AC pad" to reset the circuitry before the watch will work again. To accomplish this, do the following: Locate the small arrowhead on the battery cover that points to a shiny silver-colored piece on the watch circuit board. Briefly connect this to the small tab the battery cover screw goes through and the watch will fire up and be ready to be reset. I just bent a paper clip to the right shape and used that as a conductor for shorting.

The whole battery replacement is done as follows: Remove the four screws that hold the back in place; you will need a #00 Phillips screwdriver to do this. Remove the back. Locate the battery cover screw and remove (also a #00 Phillips). Lift the battery cover screw tab and then pull the battery and its cover from the watch (there is another tab that fits in a slot opposite the screw tab. Peel the battery cover off the old battery and replace the battery with a new one. Then just reverse the steps to re-assemble. The last step before replacing the back is to do the reset/short procedure.

An alternative to this procedure is to send the watch to Timex; I have been told they will replace the battery for $20.00 plus shipping. I spent $2.00 for the battery IIRC and had the #00 Phillips in my tool kit. You can get the small Phillips screwdriver from Harbor Freight or from a real hardware store (probably not Ace or True Value).