Here is a well made down bag that meets the specified criteria.

1. Light (less than 2 lbs)
2. Under $180.00
3. Good to at least 35 degrees

Luxury Lite V Bag
1 pound 14.2 ounces
$125.00
4-inch two-layer loft

I need four inches of two-layer loft to stay warm down to 30-35 degrees in a tent or under a tarp with no breeze. And that is what I got with my new V Bag. So far I really like the salient feature of this bag-the center zipper, but I will need to add a couple of Velcro tabs, as the zipper won’t lock in place. That is the only complaint I have with the bag so far and that is one that is easy to fix yourself or ask Luxury Lite to do it before they ship it. I certainly agree that your sleeping bag is no place to skimp on quality vs. price. I have never owned an ultimate sleeping bag but, IMHO this is a well made down bag and the price is right. I paid $125 without any pillow and the bag is now listed at $165 with the 2.5-ounce air-foam Ultralite Pillowpad.

Luxury Lite specifies loft vs. weight instead of fill power of their down as you can easily measure both loft and weight. No one really knows the fill power of their down bag-they only know what the manufacture claims is the fill power. A couple of the top bag manufactures are well known for conservative fill power and temperature ratings. But there are also some that maybe stretch the truth a little. All you can do is measure the loft and check the weight and see if that bag works for you.

Edited by BOWSINGER (12/14/07 07:02 PM)