On MRE's

My experience goes like this...I have eaten them ALOT. (Maybe that explains many of my "strange" behaviors). I ate them almost every day in Iraq. Just from Iraq, for three meals a day, I know I ate them exclusively for more than 6 months worth.

I recomend them, especially for emergency food storage. But, for backpacking there are some things to consider. First, they are over packaged. You also won't eat everything in them. Buy a few boxes of 12. At home, eat them and try different ones. Some you will like (maybe) and some you won't (for sure). There is a trick to heating them up, ie, you need the heater pouch. Practice at home, not in the woods for the first time.

For a few days trip they are great. They are heavier than dried food, but make up for it with ease and less gear to heat. Freezer Bag Cooking (which is about the only thing that comes close to the ease and lightweight) requires a stove, fuel, fuel holder, pot, and maybe a cozy. The food is lighter (no water), but you have to have the extra stuff to heat it up. You don't need a stove, pot or the other stuff with MRE's, but the actual food is heavier (it is hydrated). I am guessing that the weight evens out about 2 to 3 days, and afterwards the freezer bag system is lighter.

Just my thoughts. YMMV