Finished The Man Who Walked Through Time today and must admit I enjoyed the last few chapters. The encounters with canyon creatures were delightfully told and I found even his musings evocative. His immense relief at recapturing his solitude [after his hiking companion of four days had to leave the canyon] was an anthem to the solo hiker which I shall keep etched in my mind as a reminder that I'm not the only one who feels as he did--a relief tinged with guilt [for feeling relieved]:

"All I knew was that I felt frustrated and angry--and that after Doug had gone it was a relief to be able to move on when I wanted to move on, to stand and stare when I wanted to stand and stare, to do absolutely nothing when I wanted to do absolutely nothing. To be able to think my own thoughts in my own way at my own pace and convenience, without fear of interruption. And to exist, all the time, in silence."

While I don't consider it a particularly well-written book, parts of it are truly memorable. I do appreciate the writer and would like to have known him in person.

To all who contributed to this thread---thank you!