I recently found a webpage while searching for good lures and flies to use in the high sierras. The author recommended wrapping the fish in foil and cooking it directly on the simmering flame of a canister stove, no pot or pan. I don't know how well that would work for a larger trout, but I am hoping it will do the trick for small, high altitude trout. Thats what I plan on trying next week. I'll be at 11k or higher for several days so I won't be having any fires. I have forgone fishing in recent years after getting tired of poaching trout. Frying them makes too much of a stinky mess and is difficult to clean the pan without soap. Also, as far as getting rid of the guts, I have to vote for a proper burial. There are too many places in the sierras where the remains would remain in the water for a long time...yummy. I suppose a motivated type might pack out the remains. That should make for a special package after a week. I'll be using a handline. Total weight for all my fishing gear is about 5 oz.

Edited by drembo (06/27/04 08:20 PM)