Originally Posted By DustinV
Whoa there, @Arizona! That IS a ferocious winter scene. Does it dip into the 50s at night? Can you actually feel the two or three water molecules in the air bouncing off of you? laugh

Since the fire danger here in CO keeps going up, everything but canister stoves is pretty much banned, so canisters of any size can be tricky to come by at times. Has anyone seen a setup to refill the little canisters from the Coleman canisters? I'd rather buy the big ones, but carry the small ones.

It can be extremely rough out here but we somehow manage. Lol
I know what you mean with dry conditions and fire bans. Canister stoves are one of the only solutions. Even with no fire bans it gets so dry that I err on the side of caution and use a canister stove. For real cold the two remote canister stoves in my kit allow for inverting and feeding liquid fuel into the burner.

I’ve heard of an adapter that allows the filling of an empty canister but only with isopro. The green one pound Colman canisters are pure propane. Propane has a boiling point of-40°. Isobutane has a boiling point of 11° F, much less volatile but not a great performer in colder conditions. That’s why they mix about 20% propane with the isobutane. I get better results when I shake the canister before using. Of course there are those using a Lindal valve to us the green canisters with pure propane. The stove manufacturers don’t agree with that practice and it could be more dangerous for wildfires and could damage the isopro stoves. But some do get by.

I agree the smaller canisters would be better for carry. But the half pound and the Snow Peak windscreen nests not to mention I’m a born penny pincher. Lol You can sort of see the extra titanium upper windscreen I made for a very efficient fuel miser in the breeze that wraps the titanium mug/pot for compact footprint.

I keep two one pound isopro canisters around for backup when the electricity goes out. Our house is 100% electric. Also six of the green Colman propane canisters are on hand with the rather heavy, bulky stove that uses them. That is really nice for car camping with inexpensive fuel.