I agree with Glenn again (Glenn's a smart guy). Get some sleep and then reflect on the good and the bad from your trip. Plan your future trips align with your new found backpacking values. I'm with you on comfort. I'm middle aged and fat. I can't do the milleage a lot of trip reports on the internet report. But there still are a lot of trips that I get to views not available to day hikers!

I've lightened up my gear but I have comfort needs younger skinnier people leave behind. I need a nice thick, wide mattress (Big Agnes Insulated Q-Core SLX Sleeping reg/wide Pad) and a good pillow (large thermarest compressible pillow). I bring crocs so my toes can stretch while in camp and I can quickly slip them on for late night restroom breaks. My pack is able to structurally handle the load of my gear.

What I don't bring (that I may have in the past) is high end camera equipment, binoculars, and lots of entertainment options (books and games). I actively think about if I really need an item before I bring it. I try to bring the amount of food I will eat (not less nor do I bring emergency food besides perhaps a snack or two). As I've become older I've become more comfortable in the wilderness and pack less fears. I bring what I need and use.

Edited by BZH (05/12/21 02:29 PM)