Sounds like your trip was a qualified success: you learned the tent is shot, and you learned that you aren't really thrilled about backpacking the way you're doing it. Those are really important things to know.

I'm 71, and I used to backpack aggressively - snow, single-digit temps, rugged terrain (or what passes for rugged east of the Mississippi), high mileage days - while carrying a heavy (25-pound-plus) load. The last four or five years, however, I've reined a lot of that in, so that I can be more comfortable and extend the number of years I can do this.

As a result, I now limit myself to 8 miles a day (give or take a mile), to more moderate terrain, no snow camping or camping in the rain (unless trip length means I can't avoid it), and to nighttime lows above freezing (32F.) This not only results in less stress and strain, but also affects the amount and type of gear I carry.

Until last month, I only carried about 14 pounds for a two-night warm-weather trip (and that included a liter of water and two days' food.) While that sounds ultralight-ish, I used a 3-inch thick insulated air mattress so I'd sleep better. I also carried a sub-two-pound ultralight pack - which I exchanged last month for a more traditional 3-pound pack, simply because I was finding my shoulders were tired at the end of the day. I also went from an 8-ounce single-pot kitchen to a nearly-one-pound integrated cook system because I was tired of eating from a bag if I wanted to have tea with my meal. Now I'm carrying 17 pounds for that same trip; I'm still comfortable on the trail (the heavier pack's suspension is more robust, so the load actually "feels" lighter and there's no shoulder stiffness at the end of the day.) I'm more comfortable in camp, so I'm sleeping better, and longer (another decision was not to force myself to be on the trail 15 minutes after sunrise.)

A change in style might be in order if you decide you like to backpack and want to continue. And, if you decide that day hiking is what give you the most pleasure, that's great, too - enjoy yourself!