Originally Posted By hikerduane
On my recent 8 day bp trip thru the southern Sierra Nevada, my camera (Canon SX10) and myself took a dip in the Kern River. Twice in a few minutes time. It still has issues, powers partially up is all. Does it need to go to a shop for a cleaning and drying out now? I saw condensation in the lense later in the day and for a day or two later also. I took the batteries out of course and installed them a few times to check progress. Thanks.

Duane

I am a retired Camcoder/ Camera Tech. I could write a book on some of the cameras I have seen come into my shop thru the years. Dropped in swimming pools, off 2 story balconies, cliffs, creeks, rivers, oceans, $3K Sony camcorder stored in a cooler until the ice melted. I have had cameras come in where their lenses look like they are 1/2 full of chocolate milk. When you see the crash and burns on Funniest Home Videos I’m the guy who repaired the cameras.
First time is the MAJOR FACTOR, especially in corrosive water like saltwater or pool water (chlorine).
1 Power the unit down and take the batteries out. Do not keep trying to turn it on and off. You are possibly causing more damage.
2 If it is nasty water rinse camera with fresh water. Allow to dry in the sun if possible or put it in a ziplock baggie with rice.
3 Get it to a repair center as soon as possible. When I would get a call from a panicked customer. I would tell them I need the camera as soon as possible, not tomorrow......today. The quicker I got the camera the better chance I have to save it. First step with a saltwater submerged camera I would get a 5 gal bucket of water and dunk the camera until all debris was cleared. Next disassemble entire camera, mechanics, boards and lens assemblies. Dry everything very carefully with a low power heat gun, dust all the boards and connectors with Deoxit 5, relube chassis and all mechanics. Clean a reassemble lens (dust free) and iris assy then realign.
Saved around 8 out of 10. The cost for your misadventure $500-1000.