I am currently quite obese, roughly 100 pounds from the "ideal" weight for my height. I am making sweeping changes to my diet and exercising weekly, so far I have lost just under 20 pounds and am familiar with losing weight and all the fun that comes with it.

I've decided to, heavily, incorporate hiking on 'easy/moderate' trails this summer and have been putting together gear lists and trying to figure out how I am going to equip myself when I am out hiking. I currently have a 23 Liter Camelbak bag from Sportsman's Warehouse. I don't think this is probably very good for the kind of hiking I am hoping to do in the long-term.

I believe I 'need' or should get an actual daypack from a place like REI with proper support. I believe I will eventually want a 21-35L daypack as I currently don't plan to do any overnight stays (but may want to later).

My question is whether or not I should wait until I lose substantially more weight before going out and getting a more suitable/nicer daypack. I know that daypack fittings are based on torso height/width. I don't see the height changing over my weight loss journey, but am not sure if the width will significantly change enough to make it worth the weight.

Any information anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.