I just thought I'd give a few updates on these poles, since it's been a few years since I made them.

* Having used these poles on a couple of pretty steep uphill/downhill hikes now, I decided the the adjustable strap is more trouble than it's worth. If you were going to use wrist straps, I'd say put them at the height you'll use most and don't make them adjustable. If you wrap the handles, you have the option of making the wrap long enough to choke up and down as you like.

* The heaviest of the two poles, IIRC, was around 8 oz. Even so, they were a bit overkill. Bamboo is incredible stuff! Since then, I've made a second pair of poles for my oldest kid that were much slimmer. The heaviest of his is around 3 oz! If I were to make another pair for myself, I would want to split the difference and make them just a bit heavier and stronger than the lighter pair, but less than my original pair.

* The lighter pair that I made for my kid has a different style of handle on it. I bought some black drop fishing line, and I wrapped the handle area with that. This is a heavy coated woven line very similar to masons line. In fact, I suspect masons line would work just as well. For how to wrap a handle, look at the way thread is wrapped around fishing poles to attach eyelets. You tuck the loose ends in under the wraps so it can't unravel.

* The lighter pair still used wrist straps, but I used grosgrain ribbon instead of mule tape. It's much lighter and still plenty strong for the job. Instead of attaching it with a prussik like I did on the first pair, the wrist loops go under three turns of the handle wrap.

* On the lighter pair, I also wrapped sewing thread for a half inch or so around the bottom before I coated it with Shoe Goo, for a little more insurance against splitting.

* On the 2nd/lighter pair, I didn't bother trying to make a form for the Shoe Goo feet. I just applied it free form.

* I eventually added 3 small self-tapping hex head screws to the bottom of each of the heavier/original pair of poles to have a little more bite and grip. The lighter pair aren't wide enough 3 screws, but I do plan to add 1, eventually. I have to find my screws first.

* I liked the simpler, non-adjustable, handles on the 2nd pair so much, I'm converting the 1st pair to the same style. It might be a mistake, but I've cut off the extra length as well. I'll just deal with not being able to move my hand up on the down-hills. They're in a limbo state at the moment, since I can't seem to find my line I used for the handle wrap.