I've been using trekking poles for years. I like having the extra stability when I'm on uneven ground. I use one to hold up my shelter. They even kind of serve as 'feelers' when I inevitably get distracted by the scenery while walking. I like them.

However, I really don't like adjusting the length of the poles. I set the height at the trailhead and forget about it unless they slip. I've never once shortened or lengthened my poles when climbing or descending. The trails change way too frequently, here. I don't even use the straps because I find it much simpler to just choke up on the grip or palm the pommel. Also, the little squeeze with every step keeps my hands from swelling up.

I've done some searching around for fixed-length poles and all I've come up with are either trail-running poles or ski poles. And they're just about as expensive as folding or telescoping poles. I'm worried that the trail running poles might not be built strong enough to keep me from tipping if I'm tripping. The ski poles I've seen don't have extended grips and some of them are kind of heavy.

Is there an alternative out there that's relatively strong, but not too pricey, and with an extended grip?