I don't own a biolite stove, but I do work in thermally testing hardware for space applications. Electronics are often done in by two environments: 1) vibrations (shaking... bouncing around in your pack) and 2) Thermal cycle. Every time the electronic part goes from hot to cold or vice versa you induce stress in the parts. Over time small defects become bigger and bigger until the electronics fail. Every time you fire that stove up you are inducing significant thermal stresses. Over time it is going to fail. It could be something as simple as a loose solder joint or it could be something deep within an integrated circuit.

I think you have discovered the lifespan of that particular stove and yes it is designed for weekend warriors. I don't buy into the conspiracy theory of giving crap to the rich people. A) Rich people will only keep buying your product if it lives up to there specifications. B) Such a process would be cost prohibitive to implement. A larger stove will spread the heat out more inducing less thermal stress. So it is quite possible a larger stove will have a longer lifespan.