No work-around for the Mini (in fact, I've read reviews that say they're fine for a day hike, but that they clog so fast that they are practically worthless for backpacking. So, I use the Squeeze (full-size, "original") model, with a 900ml Evernew bottle as the clean bottle and the 2000ml Evernew as the dirty bottle (2000ml happens to be just the right amount for me for an overnight dry camp.)

My "work-around" for the Squeeze is the so-called cleaning coupling. I prefer to attach both bottles to the filter when filtering water, since I've had the bags (and even Smartwater bottles) tip and spill as they got full. To backflush, I simply squeeze the clean bottle to backflush the filter into the dirty bottle. Then I top off the clean bottle by filtering some more water.

I do carry some Aquatabs, just in case the filter does clog beyond what backflushing will fix. I also backflush with the syringe at home after a trip.

I don't take long trips anymore, but this seems to work fine for the one or two night trips I mostly take. Probably, if I needed a filter that I could absolutely rely on for a week or more, I'd dig out my MSR Miniworks - heavy but bombproof (like most of the MSR and Thermarest gear that I used back in the 1990s and early 2000s.)

Edited by Glenn Roberts (06/28/20 06:09 PM)
Edit Reason: Add backup note