I'm surly to my wife, friends, kids, grandkids, their dogs... smile

I also tend to spend time checking the 10-day forecast to see when I can go sleep in the nearby woods for a night or two. (Karol says doing that takes the edge off of me. She's probably right.)

But mostly, I'm in the same boat with Daisy (except for all the wonderful places to hike.) I'm semi-retired (10 months, 17 days, 6 hours, 54 minutes, but who's counting?), and I also have other responsibilities (my condolences, Daisy; I didn't realize you'd lost your mother. Mine is 92, in assisted living about 2 miles away, but doing pretty well.)

I'm blessed with an excellent Metropark system of walking trails in former farm fields, hiking trails in rolling woods along streams, and a 35-mile backpacking trail (with backcountry camping allowed) - all within a half hour's drive. Some days, I just load my pack and go day-hike a 2-, 3-, or 5-mile loop; sometimes, when the temperatures and precipitation cooperate, it's a 7- to 20-mile overnight (or two night) backpack. The weather cooperates 10 or 11 months of the year.

Now, this isn't "true" backpacking to most people (the way spending a week on the AT or the Wonderland trail would be), but it provides me with a great deal of pleasure. I've found I don't need the big trips or the hero-treks-in-the-rain (been there, done that, T-shirt's finally dry and still in good shape.) Mostly, it's now just the pleasure of walking to my heart's content, with no real goal and no need to "conquer"; I'm finding real pleasure visiting the same handful of places and watching the seasons change. I don't need a campsite with incredible views anymore; it's the snug, cozy little spot in the woods, letting it get dark around me, that appeals.

Not that I'd turn down a chance to visit Isle Royale again... smile