By "hiking" I assume you mean backpacking. Maybe it would help to look at how you define backpacking, camping, hiking, and walking. An rethink "where" you think these things should happen.

I live in an area where I could backpack year round if I had unlimited resources and no other obligations. When the mountains (the place I really want to be) snow in, there is the coast. When rainy season shuts down the coast, there is the desert. Moving here from a more limited environment I went overboard on getting out every last chance I got. Eventually, the trips began to feel more of a "must do" instead of a "want to do". When I retired, I felt I missed the boat if I did not use every last opportunity to backpack.

I have now stepped back, and give myself permission to just stay home. I have decided I really just want to be outdoors and I love to walk. Every trip does not have to be a big one. A short, close by overnighter is fine too. We now have a dog; a very active Border Collie who has to be exercised EVERY day. I now am an urban explorer of dog-friendly routes from 2 to 7 miles. We are lucky to have the wonderful American River Parkway a mile from the house. I pretty much just walk out my door and walk the dog, EVERY day. That keeps me in shape and I get my outdoor "fix". We have a trailer, so we do several camping trips like up the Oregon coast staying in state parks. Each campsite we choose has plenty of hiking trails to walk the dog. I am exploring my urban environment, finding new hikes all the time. In the past I have done more bicycling, but for some reason not much this year. When my motivation is low and I have the winter "funk" it is a lot easier to grab the dog leash and go out the door than get all geared-up for bicycling.

When my mind is fighting doing anything, I say to myself, "just get out and go one mile". Before I know it I am going 5 miles. Getting out the door is actually the hardest part. Same with backpacking. Getting in the car and on the way to the trailhead seems to be the harder part. There is ALWYAS a reason not to go, to postpone, other obligations that are pressing, etc, etc.

I am not a gear person; I am a big-time "planner"- so rather than get in my sleeping bag at home, I plan! It is my entertainment. I build elaborate spreadsheets with a database that allows me to easily look at any route going any direction. I pour over Google Earth images. Scrutinize topo maps. Use my gear spreadsheet to make a packing list for hikes I plan to do. Start re-packaging backpack food. Check my equipment, which usually is pretty rag-tag. Get a few new items.

I too have obligations- lots of Granny duty, home upkeep, never ending cooking cleaning ugh! But I just make taking the dog on a walk for 2 miles minimum, a priority. My mother of nearly 100 years old died this fall too; I can relate to your experience. There are mixed feelings, lots of little chores, grief mixed with relief, that puts you into a bit of a "funk".

BUT, backpack season starts soon! I have hundreds of pre-planned trips to choose from. I am in reasonable, if not great shape (so is my dog). It will start very small- an overnight close to home, perhaps with one of the grandkids. My annual Point Reyes National Seashore conditioning trip, perhaps a drive south to Joshua Tree. Then crazy over-the-top 3-5 day backpacks out of Yosemite Valley. Then play the game of out-running the nasty mosquitoes by going higher and higher until mosquitoes reign for about 2 weeks, whereupon, I go to the coast or we do a trailer trip. Then the real season starts -big time High Seirra or Wind River trips. Cannot wait!