Originally Posted By Jimshaw
... what we want is a simple cheap (ten essential) modified for the purpose and the times. So In the interest of being found one of those brilliant flashlights and a signal flare gun will go a long way. Some way to melt water in a cup, a cover like a tarp that can be attached over a snowmobile as a snow wall. some closed foam insulation, dry socks, any spare down liners for the clothes and two bic lighters, maybe a small first aid kit....

I had some thoughts reading through this thread:

1. Signal flares are good for indicating distress should another snowmobiler happen by.

2. For heating water I think esbit would be perfect. Shelf stable, doesn't leak. It's compact and pretty idiot proof.

3. Spare down clothes liners could have some problems: they may not fit the person who needs them in an emergency and people rarely have quality spares available to leave in a kit like this. I would think a Costco down blanket would be better. Cheap, light, compact, and warm enough with existing insulation. Plus they will be easy to use with who ever needs it.

4. Increasing you list to 12 and adding a small shovel and a pbl would be worthwhile.