While fresh veggies are available daily for European hikers (one of my favorite things about hiking in Europe), that is not true in North America. These dishes could be adapted for dehydrated or freeze-dried vegetables. They could be cooked at home and then dehydrated, provided the veggies are in very tiny pieces so they rehydrate easily.

American guidebook author William L. Sullivan once did a several month backpack traversing Oregon from west to east, following designated wilderness or wilderness study areas from the southern Oregon coast to Hells Canyon in the northeast, which he described in his fascinating book, Listening for Coyote. His description of instant mashed potatoes (which he had unwisely stocked up on as a cheap food source) was that they were suitable only to dump into ground squirrel holes. I agree, although I felt sorry for the ground squirrels!

Leaving out the first dish (with its nauseating instant mashed potatoes), the other two could profit from onion and garlic.

For longer trips (such as Sullivan's), protein sources are highly important. (Sullivan became ill several times during his trip due to nutritional deficiency.) Beans, split peas, lentils are good sources. If cooked at home and dehydrated, they will rehydrate fast on the trail. For those of us non-vegetarians, canned chicken or cooked ground beef can be dehydrated.

Another difference is that in North America, we do not cook or eat or store food in or near our tents. Even in areas with no bears, there are various other animals (raccoons, skunks, squirrels, mice) that are attracted to our food supply and can do considerable damage.