Different trips have different purposes. Any technology I take has to mesh with the goal of that particular trip, and certainly not distract me from my purpose. If sharing the experience is really a goal, then sharing-enhancing technology is good.

But I think we all know that there is a fine line between using our technology to enhance vs. getting caught up to the point where we are missing the experience.

Fishing is quite addictive for me and can take over, so I sometimes do not take fishing gear so I can focus on other things, like photography. Sometimes a watch stresses me out; other times NOT having a watch stresses me! Sometimes I do not take a camera, because it too can get addictive. I will admit, that spending a day just looking at a lake is not something I can do given my personality. I personally choose NOT to use a GPS because I REALLY like to navigate from maps alone and find my own route. My husband is one of those who simply has zero aptitude for maps, so the GPS actually ALLOWS him to get into and enjoy the wilderness. For me a GPS takes away one aspect of backpacking that I really enjoy.

I think we can all agree that if OUR technology spills over into someone else's wilderness experience (like loud music on the trail or a tent lit-up like Las Vegas at night), then it IS intrusive. Add to that our technology that detrimentally impacts wildlife. And yes, I see the irony- I kill and eat fish!

Lucky are those who think they can remember their experiences as they age, or think that much later in life they will actually be able to do the same trip. I have watched my family members age into their 90's, and pictures are very useful in prompting memories.