Welcome to "the circle of tents". grin I once found a perfectly perfect dome tent that had tumbled no telling how far across the desert floor in Big Bend Ntl. Pk. That was in 1984 and I still use it today! But....it's managed to tumble off just like your story. I had to go looking for it, but found it. Certain free standing tents fly very well, since they are airfoil shaped and develop tremendous lift in high winds.
Earlier this year I was again camping on the desert floor and the winds were so high that stakes pulled out and I was enveloped all night in a collapsed wet mess as though I was strapped to the top of a speeding car! I should know better.
I've now replaced all my stakes with much more robust types and when car camping use screw-in leash anchors and long spikes. I've had high winds break tent hoops before but this was the first time a tent tried to carry me away. I've also replaced my car camping tent with a much more wind proof design that seems rock solid.
I'm a tarp/hammock guy when actually backpacking and have never had a wind issue when out.