Unfortunately, the "new normal" of drier summers, longer fire seasons, and more vulnerable forests is that you can expect fire bans every summer. While I grew up with campfires, once i started using a stove I got along fine without a fire--just wore a little more insulation in the evenings--and discovered the stars! I have not had a campfire in the past 30 years (except when car camping with kids) and haven't missed it. Not having a fire actually saves a lot of time and effort that can be used for leisurely admiring the sunset and enjoying meteor showers..

The other part of the "new normal" is that you need to have a Plan B and perhaps a Plan C ready to switch to at the last minute for each trip, in case a fire breaks out at Plan A. It has happened to me several times.

As far as starting out with your gear, balzaccom has given you an excellent scenario and I recommend you follow it! The main skill to practice is keeping your insulation dry so you can stay warm. Car-camping in nasty weather (so you can bail out if you fail) is a good way to start this.

With the dog, work on obedience training, having him sleep in the tent (if he's crate trained, you should have no problem), and plan on keeping him on leash most of the time (out of consideration for other people and chasable wildlife) and on a tether when you're in camp to keep him out of your and your neighbors' food. Make sure you bury his poop, as you do your own. You'll of course have to avoid national parks, which are very anti-dog, but Rocky Mtn Natl Park is actually not the most scenic part of the Colorado Rockies anyway, so no big deal.

My Colorado days are long past (my last trip there was 10 years ago), so I can't recommend a specific spot. Some of the most popular places require advance permits and are rather overrun with people. On the other hand, for a beginner, being in a popular place is a good idea for your first few trips.

Do note that by late September/early October, winter arrives in the high country. Be prepared for snow, cold, and hunting season (wear plenty of blaze orange). The September/early October snows will melt off, but they may start sticking by mid-October.

Your college will undoubtedly have an outing club which will help you get started and continue into the cold season. In addition to downhill skiing/snowboarding, there's cross-country skiing and winter camping. And, hopefully, classes on avalanche safety.

Edited by OregonMouse (08/05/18 01:29 PM)