Having a fighter jet come out of nowhere and nearly take your head off is very intrusive, LOL. This has happened a few times in the southern Sierra where an air base is nearby.

To me it boils down to wanting to get away from civilization and all its trappings/distractions. There is so much technology now, that we have to make conscious decisions what to take and what not to take on each trip. Unfortunately many young people do not even know what it is like to be without all their gadgets.

I often choose to leave my technology at home. I even leave my watch at home some trips,so I can be on natural time vs. man-made time. I also go without any kind of illumination sometimes, just to see what that is like. Sometimes even the "good" technology can distract. A stove is much easier to use for cooking, but you then do not experience the totally different aspect of cooking on a fire. Technology that enhances efficiency will let you walk farther, but that may not be what you always want to do. It is always a trade-off. When I do not take a camera, I tend to study the scenery more because I will not have a photo to look at when I get home.

Blogging while on the trail is most intrusive. The last thing I want to do is talk to someone on a cell phone at the top of a pass.

Those LED lights are very intrusive if you are camped next to anyone else.

I am not a fan of either loud music or loud clothing or gear that makes every backpacker within a mile visible.

When I am in my tent trying to fall asleep, then a half hour of mellow music on my I-pod is not intrusive. I would never listen to music on the trail or during daylight hours (unless stuck in the tent during a long storm).

Initially many backpackers get bored. There now is all sorts of technology to distract you with sounds and sights of civilization. Without these gadgets, you are forced to begin to listen, see, and feel the more subtle aspects of wilderness. Kids are a good example. When I take kids out, I do not allow their electronic "toys". And they eventually learn to entertain themselves with what nature provides. Often they see and discover things I never noticed!