There's nothing light about that knife. Keep in mind that wilderness backpacking and survivalism are two completely different things. Many BPers don't even carry a knife, maybe just a tiny pair of scissors to open food packages. It's fine if you want to carry one (assuming there are no legal issues where you will be traveling); it's just that for a properly prepared BPer, it's usually unnecessary and not worth the weight (to them). If you decide to bring a knife anyway, then I'd suggest you learn to use it properly before your trip, Otherwise, what's the point? The only reason I could think of to carry a knife that big is if you're going to be batoning wood, the necessity of which is debated even among survivalists and knife aficionados. Even then, a blade length of 4-6 inches should be sufficient, less if you will only be splitting smaller sticks.

For the record, I do carry a small knife. The blade is about 2.5 inches, fixed blade, full tang, made from a sawzall blade, but with a comfortable wooden handle pinned and epoxied on. It weighs just a smidge over 1oz. Even that is, admittedly, unnecessary. I could get by just fine without it, but between that and the tiny scissors on my keychain multi-tool, I'm all set for cutting tools. I'm relying less on that for getting me out of survival situations and more on prevention. If I were to get into a bad situation, I've got shelter and insulation on my back, and ways to carry and sterilize water. Even in the case of complete loss or failure of my gear, there are usually options that don't require a giant knife.

Edited by 4evrplan (07/03/18 10:29 AM)