Originally Posted By Bill Kennedy
This can backfire on you. Years ago I was using Lowa Renegade and Klondike boots and liked them so much I bought several extra pairs when I found them on sale. I wore them a few times, then set them aside for the future. Later, after a bout with plantar fasciitis, I determined I needed to use a larger size, but I hung on to them, thinking I might still wear them occasionally. Finally, during a purge of my apartment, I decided to give them to the Goodwill, and when I got them out, still in their boxes, the midsoles had deteriorated to the extent that the soles just fell off. Big mess, nearly impossible to repair, so they basically went directly from the store to the dumpster. I'm glad you've had better luck.
Modern shoes often use polyurethane foam in the midsole. It's inexpensive and saves on manufacturing cost, a savings that is passed on to the customer. The downside is that it degrades over time. I guess this works out for most folks, since people generally don't keep their shoes that long anyway, but it's a real problem for those of us that want our investment to last.