Yes, I agree thin synthetic socks are best for quick drying, and wool are just best for everything.

Yes, I have mesh pocket on the outside of my pack, which is my current 'dryer'.

My thinking on the plastic bag with holes, or some type of membrane, is to get a 'green house effect' where it's hotter inside the bag. And yes, it will be more humid too. So I'm wondering if the higher temp will drive the water out of the socks faster. Or will being surrounded by higher humidity will reduce the water leaving the socks.

I actually completed a university class in 'thermodynamics and mass transfer' so I should be able to answer this, but it was so long ago we used slide rules. I'm not hating slide rules, they put a man on the moon.

The water leaves the socks because of the concentration difference between the water in the socks (higher) and the water in the surrounding air (lower). In Arizona this is faster, in Appalachia this is slower. Warmer air can hold more water than cooler air and warm damp socks will dry faster than cold damp socks. So if the plastic bag will keep the heat of the incoming sun rays, but then leak some of the warmed moist air out through the holes or membrane, the socks should dry faster than simply hanging them in the ambient air (humid air in Appalachia). This is the question, will the captured heat drive out more water sooner, or will it simply create a 'steam room' and the socks never dry?

I will do a test.