Just finding a shoe model that works for you isn't the whole picture. That's because most shoe companies change their last (the foundation on which the shoe is built) every couple of years, or they discontinue the model that suited you and add models that don't work (I had this experience with the Montrail Hardrock).

Of course we change, too--gain or lose weight, or our feet change (as mine have).

Buying several pair is a good idea, but if you are going on a very long trip (like a thru-hike), or gain weight, your feet are going to change. I bought half a dozen pair of the old Hardrocks while they were still available, but the current pair (the last of the old Hardrocks that I could find eight years ago) is not as comfortable as the prior ones were. Even the recently discarded shoes (which I save for mowing the lawn and other grubby pursuits) are too snug--my feet have changed. So maybe stick with buying two or three extra pair, not half a dozen!

Adding after-market insoles (which most of us need to do because the ones that come with the shoes are flimsy things that the manufacturer assumes we'll replace) adds another factor. Not all insoles work for everyone. My perfect insole (green Superfeet) work for me but not for lots of others. Some may need custom insoles. And an insole that works for one shoe model may not work for another. I would suggest trying several types (at least they are a bit cheaper than the shoes)

Finally, there has been a big shift to minimalist trail runners with soft soles--the barefoot feel, I guess you'd call it. For those of us who need more support, or more padding on rocky ground, those aren't going to work.

Fortunately, I can still wear New Balance running shoes with their SL-2 last (not their trail runners, though) with anti-pronation and motion control, and they still work for me with the green Superfeet. My problem is that these shoes don't have the aggressive tread needed for hiking rough trails.

All I can say is, good luck and keep trying!

Edited by OregonMouse (06/14/18 05:49 PM)