I agree with Aimless, there is no single “best” brand of shoe although there may be a “best for you” brand. I originally started using running shoes on mountaineering approach walks in the early 70’s. My climbing boots rode the top of my pack until the going got extreme.

I started with Nike Waffle Trainers and have used many brands and styles since then. A lot of my shoe purchases have been expensive mistakes. I feel that you should be prepared to buy shoes that just don’t work out. I am presently using Merrill Vent 2 shoes but went through three other pairs of shoes that didn’t suit me before I got here. Often, the shoe problems don’t show up until you have a few miles on them.

Personally, I like a shoe that doesn’t constrict my forefoot, has good heel cushioning and has a sole that protects your feet from rocks. I have no use for neutral, zero drop, thin soled, minimalist shoes but that’s me. Other hikers have other criteria that work for them.

I prefer to go to a brick and mortar shoe store and to try on a wide variety of makes and models. Usually you can narrow the selection to a few apparently satisfactory shoes. Then comes the hard part; you make a choice. Be prepared for it to be the wrong choice, you’ll usually know this after the shoes can no longer be returned. Then on to the next seemingly acceptable pair.

Once you find a shoe that works, buy several pairs immediately. If you don’t the shoe maker will “improve” the shoe so it is no longer useable. I still mourn the passing of the pre-2008 Montrail “Hardrock”. They were perfect for me. I bought 3 pairs before Columbia bought out Montrail and “improved” the Hardrock to where they were unusable. My last pair wore out in 2011.

Edited by Pika (06/16/18 11:48 AM)