Originally Posted By JellyMan
I am considering purchase of a new down sleeping bag to lighten my pack and facilitate use of a smaller pack as well. However, it is difficult to compare different sleeping bags without knowing how much they can be compressed within a compression sack. I believe most manufacturers list a "pack size" but this is the size of the stuff sack they provide and not a sack with compression straps.
How far can I compress a down sleeping bag? I am looking specifically at the Feathered Friends Swallow 20 degree regular bag. This bag comes with a 9L sack but if anyone knows how small this bag can be compressed I would greatly appreciate it.

Hi Jellyman...I have just done this with my sleeping bag. I bought a 5L ultralight compression bag and put all my sleeping kit inside it, namely, my ultralight (700 grams) Vango Venom 200 two-season down mummy style sleeping bag, my Klymit Intertia X-Frame Recon ultralight inflatable sleeping mat, my Klymit Pillow X Recon inflatable pillow and a folded space blanket. Compressed down, the dimensions came to 25cm x 17cm (about 9 3/4" x 6 3/4") and the total weight is about 1.1 kg. (about 38.8 oz). The compression bag only cost me £5 ($7.10), on ebay, with free postage. I might put my thermal top, thermal leggings and a warm pair of socks in there too as I plan to wear them inside the bag...Hopefully this will not increase the dimensions too much when compressed. Update: I added the thermals and socks and when compressed down the length only increased to about 32cm, with the diameter staying the same. The total weight has gone up to just over 1.5kg (about 53 oz).

Edited by Alf (04/15/18 08:06 PM)