The importance of redundancy cuts both ways. I recently lost my paper map on a day hike in an unfamiliar area and was glad I had a pdf version on my phone.

A few weeks ago I arrived in DC just before lunchtime and found out that my afternoon appointments had fallen through. An hour and a half later I was parked on Shenandoah NPs Skyline Drive starting the "Little Devils Stairs" loop

https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/downloadable-guides.htm#CP_JUMP_5708806

wearing bluejeans and all my sweaters and carrying a little paper map. Somewhere near the halfway point I noticed that I'd dropped the paper map. I could have turned around but really wanted to do a loop and didn't remember the trail intersections. I used the pdf I'd downloaded and made a very nice 12-mile loop that included a little bit of the AT.

regarding enjoyment of topo maps and such: I think that we may be programmed to enjoy dramatic, wide views and overlooks because it lets us reinforce our internal 3-D models of our surroundings. My favorite part of the Grand Canyon may be Plateau Point because I can see parts of places I'd been over several previous days. Seeing a peak you'd just crested several hours is cool, and it's even cooler if you can place it all on a map.

Edited by 41253 (03/25/18 01:09 PM)
Edit Reason: added random thoughts