I would only buy used gear if it was priced right. Do some looking at sales on new gear first. I think most people want too much $$ for used gear. If you are careful you can get good new gear for nearly half off. Nylon deteriorates over time (shoe leather also dries out) so even if never used or worn, a 10-year old item may be worthless. A never used down sleeping bag will have less loft if someone has stored it wrong (stuffed in a tight bag). A tent can look good but still leak. Test it with a hose or sprinkler.

I would not buy a used sleeping bag, unless it is from someone you know and are sure it has not been used much and was really clean. For me it is simply the "yuk" factor. If it smells at all, do not buy it. Never buy it unseen. If it is more than about 5 years old, I would also not buy a used bag. And do not buy used if you do not have proof of what it is made of. You should be able to look up the item based on its label.

A pack should be fitted. OK to buy used as long as you can actually try it out with weight in it before buying. When you buy a new pack you can return it in 30 to 90 days if it does not work while trying it out at home. Be sure you can do the same for a used item.

To me, there are a lot of down sides of buying used because most the time you cannot return it, you have no warenty and you really never know for sure how it has been treated.

Edited by wandering_daisy (03/17/18 11:08 PM)