Originally Posted By Dryer
I've tried "backpacker guitars" and own a Martin backpacker mando, but don't hike with them. I try to keep my pack weight to a minimum and hauling a stringed instrument is simply out of place for me. I've hiked with penny whistles, Irish flutes, and harmonicas but in the end, I find myself opting for silence. I'm either too tired, or prefer listening to the sounds around me. Rarely do companions want to hear anything but nature when hiking. I'm a working musician and typically don't even like recorded music out in the boonies.

Car camping is another story. I've jammed to the wee hours. grin

Waterproofing a small guitar/mando is easy....use a kayak dry bag just big enough to fit. There are some very light and supple ones out there. Some are shaped to stuff in the bow of a kayak and happen to be the right shape for a small stringed instrument.

I'm fascinated by penny whistles for some reason, though I haven't played an instrument since HS band (way too long ago). I was actually thinking about taking a BP trip mostly to have time to pick it up and start playing. There's no time for it at home; the same reason I mostly don't take BP trips anymore. frown