After Columbia Sportswear took over Montrail (especially their Hardrock model) and completely changed their shoes (first making major changes to the last and then discontinuing Montrail's models altogether), I refuse to have anything to do with their stuff.

Unfortunately, most shoe makers (not just Columbia) change their lasts every year or two even if they don't change the model name. That means that even if a model or brand fit a few years ago, it undoubtedly won't today. The only defense is, once you've found the shoe that is perfect for you, to buy several pair before the next model change. New Balance seems to be the only exception, but even they have reduced the number of models using their SL-2 last (narrow heel, wide and high toe box), which still fits me.

I think you may be searching the wrong places. Campmor carries generally discounted/discontinued items and Cabela's caters to the vehicle-bound hunter and fisherman. Of course even REI (supposed to be the source for hikers) has also considerably reduced the brands/models it carries. Your best bet is to find a good running shoe store that carries a wide selection of trail runners (what most of us use for hiking shoes), and try on everything. Or the online stores (like Zappo's and others) that provide free return shipping until you find the shoe that fits.

Edited by OregonMouse (01/17/18 10:59 AM)