I take a stove because most of my backpacks are at or near timberline or alpine conditions, where wood is scarce and fires create long-lasting adverse impacts. Oftentimes fires are prohibited, both because of those impacts, but also here in the West, backpacking season is wildfire season.

Nevertheless, I have cooked over fires in the distant past. There are a few drawbacks other than the time consumed by gathering wood and tending a fire. One drawback is soot. It will get onto the bottom of your cooking pot and it is hard to get off. Except onto your hands and clothes. frown

Another complication is heat control. You can place your pot directly onto coals, but this approach is very hot and can scorch food. On the other hand, suspending your pot above the coals or flames requires something like a wire grill, or else a bail to hang your pot from a tripod, or else just holding it over the fire in your hand. All these approaches are fussy and require your close attention.

On the good side of the ledger, wood is free and doesn't have to be carried. On the bad side, wood can be wet and hard to burn.

There's nothing stopping you from trying it to see how you like it. But it is not a no-brainer decision.