Thanks for the honesty guys. I was definitely not expecting to see so much dislike for bivies lol. A lot of serious minimalist bike packers use bivies and tarps. One member I was consulting on a bike forum suggested I ask questions here so here I am. I have considered a light tent. Truth is when I got into this sport, I needed to get started cheap so I spent 25 bucks and bought as basic 2 man pup tent like I had as a kid. I have been using that tent for almost 2 years now. Total package weight is 3.5 lbs. That is heavy compared to the tarp tent but compared to other 1 man tents I compared in the 100 dollar range, it was the lightest. It packs decent and I have no complaints but like most bikers, I am looking to shed more weight. My buddies pack everything on their bikes from expensive take apart cots to tents and kitchen sinks lol. I am not kidding. I cannot be like that. If I want to sleep in a bed I will stay home. So even though I have successfully used my cheap tent many times, I am looking for lighter and simpler yet. Truth is last spring I bought a rolling fox tarp off of Amazon. I used it once in April on an overnighter. I simply had the coronet configuration pitched and my Klymit pad and sleeping bag under it and besides freezing my feet I slept like a baby. That is what brought me here today as I already own a decent tarp and I am looking to add to it. I got an event I am hosting at the end of October and chances are it will be cool enough to not worry about mosquitos so I probably can get by without a bivy or tent. I am looking into the future however. Thanks for the replies and I welcome more!