I feel the same way--silnylon is less expensive, is much lighter, and (unlike the pricey stuff) actually keeps the rain out.

If the weather is warm, I leave the rain gear off and just get wet. My hiking clothes (wicking base layer top and lightweight nylon pants) will dry in 15-20 minutes just from my body heat when the rain stops. Obviously, in such weather, I'd be drenched with sweat inside the rain gear regardless of what it's made.

I sleep in my base layer (I do carry a second very lightweight top), put my hiking clothes in a plastic bag, and stick them inside my sleeping bag. They don't dry, but at least they are warm when I put them on and dry from my body heat in even less time.

If the weather is cool or cold, I of course wear the rain gear. In lower temps, sweating isn't a problem, particularly since I deliberately get my rain gear too big for me so there's more ventilation inside. If it's really cold and windy, I can snug down the rain gear so there's less ventilation inside.

I must admit that my outdoor days started long before the advent of Goretex or other so-called "waterproof-breathable" fabrics. About all that was available during my childhood and teen years were rubberized fabrics (waterproof, but weighed a ton). I did try the "WPB" fabrics when they came out, but found them neither waterproof nor breathable, just expensive. Since the advent of silnylon, the WPB fabrics are much heavier.