Another cold sleeper here. And I can't sleep with a quilt if it's below 60*F--I toss and turn too much. That's the temperature at which I have to zip up my sleeping bag rather than using it as a quilt.

Like W_D, I need that hood pulled snug and that draft collar. That's even though I already wear a hat and usually some of my insulating clothing on cold nights. I also use a vapor barrier (nonbreathable rain gear worn over my base layer and under all other insulating clothing) if the temps will be freezing or below.

If you're a cold sleeper, you really need a sleeping bag, not a quilt, for cold nights. At least then you can stay warm with no drafts.

The only objective standard for sleeping bag ratings is the EN13537 testing standards. If you are a cold sleeper, you want the "comfort" rating, which, although ostensibly for women, is really for all of us cold sleepers regardless of sex. Also note that the tests for 20*F rating assume that the sleeper is wearing a base layer and a knit hat, and is sleeping on a pad with an "R" rating of about 5.0.

Of course it may be your pad that's the problem--what's it's "R" rating?

More on those EN 13537 ratings here

Edited by OregonMouse (06/18/17 03:31 PM)