Sorry, what is "EE"?

Bag or quilt ratings vary vastly unless they are tested to European standards (forgot the acronym for that). In my opinion you were pretty close to the bag's limit. You say "about" 28, but did you have a thermometer? Or was it just below freezing because your water bottle froze? The feel of temperature has a lot to do with the humidity too. Did you enter the sleeping system toasty warm? If not, that would make you cold. If cold, I take a vigorous short walk and then immediately hop in the bag.

I have never used a quilt, so can only comment on sleeping bags. I sleep cold, my bag (Western Mountaineering Super Antelope) is rated 5-10 degrees F, and I feel cold at about 20F. The down is not ideally distributed for me. When I bought it they did not have women's specific bags. Too much down up top and on shoulders, not enough on hips and legs. That said, most people say the WM bags are right-on with temperature ratings. That makes me an extremely cold sleeper too. Everyone is different. I would not consider a quilt for temperatures in the 20's. Cinching up the hood is essential for me, as is a draft collar. Not sure you can do that in a quilt.