"That doesn't weigh much" really doesn't help when you want to analyze why your pack is so heavy and bulky. If you want to change things, please invest in that postage scale and weigh every item that goes into your pack or pockets. For me, the scale was the best $30 I've ever spent! And make a complete list, using the one I cited above (which is complete) as a model (note that it organizes everything by system). Consider setting up a computer spreadsheet so you can see the running totals every time you add or subtract something. Plus you can print the list out as a checklist when you're packing for a trip.

As BrianLe mentions, you have left out a number of the "essentials"--see items that should come on every trip:
--Headlamp or flashlight
--Insulating clothing other than your base layer--I've encountered snowstorms and 15*F temps in Wyoming/ Colorado in July and August, and in Washington/Oregon in June and September, and I doubt that Montana is any warmer!
--Toilet articles--soap or hand sanitizer--that's to prevent disease!; teeth cleaning supplies--restorative dentistry is expensive!
--Sunscreen--skin cancer treatment is even more expensive
--Sunglasses--so is cataract surgery
--Insect repellent
--Map and compass
--Signalling device, such as a good loud whistle (the ones sold on packs can't be heard more than 10 feet away and should just be cut off)

I suspect that you are not leaving all these behind, but they are not on your list. And they do add to your bulk and weight!

Edited by OregonMouse (04/29/17 02:15 PM)