You said your basic kit comes to 24 pounds; I couldn't come up with more than 20. What are the other 4? (Or do your clothes weigh more than 5 pounds?)

They say your pack represents the sum of your fears. It appears that you are really afraid of getting sick or hurt. Do you know how to use everything in the medical kit? If you don't, then why are you carrying it? I'm not saying your choice is wrong; I don't know where you walk, or what else you do while walking. I mostly walk on well traveled trails in the eastern US; if I incapacitate myself, someone will probably find me within 24 hours. So, my first aid kit is an elastic bandage, Neosporin cream, bandaids, moleskin, folding scissors, safety pins, Aleve, Advil, and Tums - maybe 8 ounces, total. (Some antibacterial hand sanitizer and wet wipes in my toilet kit could be used as first aid, too.) If I were going off-trail or stopping along the way to do some rock climbing or higher-risk activity, I might beef this up a bit.

Any other fears?

Are you carrying other kitchen gear, like a bowl or insulated mug? If so, do you really need one? That cook kit (which is a very nice one) has a fry pan that can double as a plate or bowl, and you can use the pot as a mug. (If you need insulation, build a pot cozy out of an insulating material - see the MYOG forum here - or buy a ready-made, custom-fit cozy from AntiGravityGear.)

By the way, if you're carrying 30+ pounds when you set out, using ultralight stuff sacks is kind of like ordering a Big Guy burger and fries, super sizing it - and adding a diet drink. Your stuff sacks don't make any difference; the 8 ounces they save doesn't matter until you are talking about the difference between fifteen and fourteen and a half pounds. (But there's no need to replace them, either.)

Overall, your load isn't unreasonable (except, maybe, the first aid kit.) I can't give you much insight as to why an 85 liter pack won't hold everything; I can carry that same load in 58 liters. I'd second the others' advice about packing stuff sacks rock hard, and ending up with air spaces in your pack.

Those packs are also pretty heavy by lightweight standards - but may not be if you're carrying 40 pounds all in.

If I had to generalize, based on some SWAGs about the weight, I'd guess your clothing and rain gear might be a good first place to look to reduce weight and bulk. (How many changes of underwear and T-shirts didn't you tell us about?) (Do you always carry long johns, for fear of being cold?) I might make that my next priority.

But, before you get too obsessive about replacing what you've got, pick a nice weekend and go spend a night or two camped out. When you get home, unpack and put everything in two piles. The first pile is things you used (plus items you might not have used but still need, like toilet paper, rain gear, and first aid stuff); the second pile is the stuff you didn't use. Then take another trip, and leave the first pile at home. Then, and only then, start looking at replacing the gear you actually use with lighter or less bulky items.

Don't lose heart - we've all been exactly where you are now. Take what you have, go out and use it, and you'll figure out pretty quickly what you need, what you don't need, and what doesn't work as well as you'd like. Then adjust accordingly. Keep us posted on what you learn. (I also sent you a Private Mail - click on the flashing envelope.)

Edited by Glenn Roberts (04/26/17 11:12 PM)